Friday, July 22, 2011

Laptop Overheating: How to Fix

A few days ago, I noticed that my laptop had been overheating badly. The temperatures were sky rocketting when gaming or even watching high definition videos. So I quickly downloaded HWMoniter which is a software that reads PC systems main health sensors: voltages, temperatures, fan speed. I noticed that when gaming, the temperature of the CPU went upto 100 degrees celcius which is critical to the CPU (depends on type of CPU some are made to withstand higher temperatures) so I quickly took my laptop apart (not easy as it sounds) and noticed that my laptop fan was clogged with dust. Since the laptop hadn't been opened after purchase, I figured that there would be some clog in the fan but it was worse than I expected. The part where the air intake occurs was completely clogged with dust that it could not suck any air in to cool the CPU. After I cleaned off the dust, I took off the fan and the heat pipes to see that the thermal grease was not applied properly.
I purchased the Arctic Silver 5 which is known to be the most effective thermal compound and applied it evenly on the CPU and the video card. After I did all this stuff, I noticed the temperature difference of about 10 degrees celcius on idle and 20 degrees celcius when gaming. To reduce even more temperature I also bought a laptop cooling fan which was really effective in reducing the overheating laptop.

1 comment: